Your Do More Journey: 5 Things to Consider
Doing More isn’t just about going to the gym everyday, there are a number of other factors to take into consideration before starting the journey to a healthier, fitter, leaner and stronger you! Here are five factors to keep in mind whilst you begin to Do More in your everyday life:
1. Fuel the Machine – You must fuel your body and give it what it needs if you want to become fitter, leaner, stronger and healthier. A healthy lifestyle is not about depriving your body, it’s about finding a good balance. Being dehydrated will affect your ability to Do More, which will lead to decreased results, fatigue and increased cortisol levels – your body’s stress hormone. Stay well hydrated by drinking more – aim for around 2-3 litres of water a day!
2. Prioritise your training – “not having time” to keep yourself fit is no longer a valid excuse. Most people lead busy & demanding lifestyles juggling work with family life so it’s even more important to use your time effectively with good time management and setting your priorities when it comes to training. First, think about what time you have available in a week and what you want to achieve from your training and work back from there. If you only have 2-3 hours available per week maximum to train - your priority should be resistance training. If you have 4 -5 hours a week, include some High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to your routine.
3. Recovery Rituals – In a world full of social media and mobile devices it’s easy to forget that a fit, healthy body needs time to recover and repair. Aim to get 7-8 hours sleep a night consistently. Establish an evening relaxation ritual, switch mobile devices off, have a bath, read a book and allow your mind & body to wind down! Make foam rolling and stretching part of your daily ritual on your journey to Do More. A foam roller is a cylinder of foam that you use to massage muscles. This will loosen up anything that is becoming tight for your busy life, and will help to keep your soft tissue healthy. Foam rolling will also improve posture – especially important if you spend hours at a desk, at a computer or on a phone!
4. Manage your stress – everyone has too much going on and when stress piles up it will have a negative effect on your health. When your body is under excessive stress it releases a hormone called cortisol from the adrenal glands – a response known as ‘fight or flight’. If you are in a constant state of stress, your body will be secreting cortisol 24/7 and always in a state of survival. Find ways of managing or reducing your stress levels, delegate some domestic responsibilities, take some downtime for you, try and keep things in perspective.
5. Support and accountability – Surround yourself with positive, supportive people. If you struggle to be disciplined with your attempts to Do More – find someone to be your training partner. Working out with a partner or in small groups will push you to achieve more and stop you finding excuses not to exercise. Be accountable to your new healthy lifestyle. Set yourself short term and medium term goals and track your progress. Reward yourself and celebrate success when you achieve progress.
Finally, its time to get started…let the journey to a Fitter, Leaner, Stronger and Healthier you begin…
Stella Bartram is a fitness trainer based in Glasgow and owner of Stella Bartram Fitness, a strength and training facility providing fun and effective group training.
Facebook: Stella Bartram Fitness